There are an estimated 100,000 abandoned children and 400,000 highly at-risk vulnerable Gypsy children in Romania today. UNICEF reports that the abandonment rate has remained unchanged in the past 30 years.
Livada’s holistic approach begins by nurturing orphans in the cradle and ends with them becoming faithful, interdependent, contributing members of society. The platform of all programs is a discipleship process leading to life change and personal responsibility.
Today there are four major departments of our local ministry:
- Full-time, Family-Style Residential care. This is made up of private group homes, mentor apartments, and foster care.
- Cradle Care to abandoned infants and toddlers in hospital wards, foster care and adoption.
- Orphan Outreach to orphans in state care. This involves highly relational weekly Christian clubs, humanitarian aid, dental care, evangelistic summer camps, and discipleship groups.
- Prevention of Abandonment to at-risk Roma (Gypsy) kids and poor families. This ministry offers weekly Christian clubs, humanitarian aid, and crisis intervention.
And one minor aspect of ministry that allows us to multiply our experience nationally:
- Co-founders of the ACCEDE network (now Romania Without Orphans) of orphan care providers which helps to multiply efforts between like-hearted ministries throughout Romania in educating and aiding one another.
Results to Date
- Today Livada weekly impacts approximately 91 orphans and at-risk kids.
- We host an average of 150 mission trip participants per year.
- We have built three group homes and a Christian camp and currently operate one group home.
- We have established private foster care.
- Since our inception in 2001, Livada has raised over 11 million dollars.
- Entity Funding sources: 57% Individuals, 5% Businesses, 19% Churches, and 19% Grants
- Child Sponsorship, Corporate Matching, Foundation Grants, Church mission budgetary support, Fundraising Events, and monthly/annual donations from individuals are the main income venues
- Mission trip administration fees and minor investments are the other sources of income
- Our Board of Directors contributes 8% of our budget through the aforementioned sources
- An active database of 2500 donors is communicated with monthly by email/quarterly letters